My notes on #ewankosau Saranghaeyo:
Movie Review by Jason Javier
#EwanKoSau Saranghaeyo is a Romance, Teen oriented movie under Bagong Bayan Artist Collective, Bonfire Productions.
Cast : Barbie Forteza, Francis Magundayao, Elisse Joson, Jon Lucas, Isabelle Mauricio
1. I remember watching Dawson's Creek a decade ago and he was this amateur filmmaker who kept shooting these no-budget horror flicks. This movie looked and felt exactly like that. It wasn't a horror movie but it very well could have been.
2. Leo Martinez played the lead actor's grandfather and he was supposedly a modern day Balagtas, spewing romantic and philosophical lines while riding a railway trolley. He was no different from Janet Jackson in Poetic Justice. In one scene, he staged a balagtasan face-off with local flip-toppers.
3. There were actually two recent Cinemalaya Best Supporting Actress winners in this movie. I felt really bad that this would forever be on their Wikipedia filmography.
4. In one clunky scene, three characters were talking loudly about another character painting just five feet away. The scene ended with this gem of a line, "Tara alis na tayo baka mapansin pa niya tayo." Sigh.
5. Jon Lucas looked like Matteo Guidicelli. Why wasn't he given the lead role instead? And what kind of parent would name their kid River Mondragon?
6. Francis Magundayao was a terrible actor and he had zero chemistry with Barbie Forteza. Even Forteza (great in Mariquina) felt limited by the bad screenplay. I guess it was hard for her to act when the highlight of the movie was mourning a dead pet chicken.
7. My favorite lines in the movie were:
"Kung bibigyan ka ba ng pagkakataong maging malaya, hindi ka ba lilipad?" (No, she wasn't talking to her dead pet chicken.)
"Pahinga na tayo ha."
"Ok, ikaw din."
After dancing with the prom king...
"Baste, gusto ko ikaw ang first dance ko."
"Pakiramdam ko nasa adaptation tayo ng Wattpad." (One that should never have been published.)
And this classic...
"May gamot ang kabobohan. Konting iodized salt lang solb na. Pero yang katangahan mo di ko alam kung sang botika mahahanap ang lunas."
8. Of course, there was a key product placement in the movie. Thank you BNY, makers of Bunny Jeans!!
9. I'd definitely wear that mini barong under a beaded blazer look in our next Christmas party.
10. I would never forget that scene where he tried to skateboard from Roxas Boulevard to the airport because of heavy traffic. Love indeed makes us do really crazy things.
Directed by : Roman Perez, Jr.