If I Stay is an American romantic drama film directed by R. J. Cutler, based on the novel of the same name by Gayle Forman. The film stars Chloë Grace Moretz, Mireille Enos, Jamie Blackley, Joshua Leonard, Stacy Keach, and Aisha Hinds.
Mia Hall (Chloë Grace Moretz) and her family are getting ready to go on with their normal day activities when it is announced on the radio that school has been cancelled. Mia's dad Denny (Joshua Leonard) is a teacher and as a result of the snow day doesn't have to go to work. Mia's mom Kat (Mireille Enos), a travel agent, decides to call in sick and along with her family decide to visit Mia's grandparents who live on a farm. It's also revealed that Mia once dated an older, popular up-and-coming rock-star named Adam Wilde (Jamie Blackley), who she broke up with months back.
Chloë Grace Moretz as Mia Hall
Jamie Blackley as Adam Wilde
Mireille Enos as Kat Hall
Joshua Leonard as Denny Hall
Stacy Keach as Grandpa
Lauren Lee Smith as Willow
Liana Liberato as Kim Schein
Aisha Hinds as Nurse Ramirez
Aliyah O'Brien as EMT
Jakob Davies as Teddy Hall
My notes on If I Stay:
1. Chloe Grace Moretz is so much better than this movie. Can we say that an actress is actually overqualified for a role? She should leave these young adult dramas to lesser actresses like Kristen Stewart.
2. Mireille Enos is so much better than this movie. Can we say that an actress is actually underutilized in a movie? Watch the first season of The Killing instead.
3. The guy who played opposite Chloe was such a bad actor that I didn't even bother to Google his name.
4. The premise of this film reminded me a bit of The Lovely Bones. I hated that film adaptation because I really loved the book. Should I bother reading this one?
5. Everyone knows that I'm a cryer. I cry even when there's no reason to cry. I did not cry one bit in this one. Maybe The Fault in Our Stars desensitized me already. All the girls in the theater were sobbing their eyes out, though.
6. The soggy, cheesy, diabetes-inducing love story almost made my eyes roll out of their sockets.
7. It was so bad that it reached a point where I was wishing she'd just die already. I'm going straight to hell.
IF I STAY (R.J. Cutler, 2014) - If you force your boyfriend to watch this chick flick, don't be surprised if you're single after. ★★☆☆☆
Review by : Jason Javier