Starring Alessandra de Rossi and Empoy Marquez under the direction of Sigrid Andrea Bernardo
My notes on Kita Kita:
1. Where do we draw the line between persistence and obsession? Do we consider a grand gesture like asking someone out for a coffee date via a huge billboard in Morayta sweet or repulsive? If Xian Gaza actually looked like Daniel Matsunaga, would he still be considered a creepy stalker or just a determined romantic?
2. One of my biggest concerns with this movie was that after it made us fall in love with its unconventional lovers, it tried to sell us this disturbing (and Machiavellian?) big reveal that nothing was actually wrong with the couple's predator-prey relationship history (I felt the exact same way when Maricel Soriano fell in love with her rapist in Dahas, but then that wasn't even close to being a romantic-comedy). He knowingly took advantage of her disability, period.
It was truly unfortunate not only because the first two-thirds of the movie was deeply engrossing and enjoyable, but also because it didn't really need any twist to come up with an interesting resolution.
I was more curious to know how Lea (Alessandra de Rossi) would have reacted after she regained her sight and discovered the true physical aspects of Tonyo (Empoy Marquez). In one scene, she even joked "Kung makita kita, baka pang-leading man ang mukha mo". Wouldn't it have been great to know her actual feelings upon seeing that he actually looked more like a stuntman?
3. Having said that, I was really impressed with the #AlEmpoy tandem because despite the odd pairing and clunky third act, they really made this love story work. Halos mamatay ako sa kilig sa unang Two Less Lonely People in the World montage. I swear I had this huge smile plastered on my face during that sequence. I even teared up a bit because I get really emotional whenever I see two people happily in love. Sobrang bagay sila.
4. Alessandra has always been consistently good in everything. Here, she was empathetic even as a cranky and bitter blind woman. When she cried while drawing on the eyes of the Daruma Doll to complete her wish, I was crying along with her.
The bigger acting surprise though was Empoy. He was just effortlessly funny whether he was applying breath freshener on his wrists, or mangling idioms ("The way to man's heart is through large intestine"), or delivering a throwaway quip ("Kelangan mo ng asukal, ang asim kasi ng mukha mo"). There were moments when Alessandra looked like she was no longer acting while laughing at some of Empoy's hilarious jokes (best one: "We have similar. Rities.").
And that ramen scene, oh my heart!!
5. Pinoy Film/TV Trope: Any character crossing the street or standing near the sidewalk with vehicles zooming by has a 90% chance of getting run over. Survival rate of that unfortunate soul would be 10%. The victim in this movie did not beat any of the said odds. Enough please.
(Also, what happened to that sickness storyline of Tonyo?)
6. Some of the dialogue in the movie sounded off, like when Lea kept saying PG-rated lines ("Puputulin ko ang talong diyan sa gitna ng mga hita mo!", "May nunal ka sa pribadong parte ng katawan mo!") or sexist remarks ("Mas malandi ka pa sa babae!"). She also had this Isa, Dalawa, Tatlo voice-over during the confrontation scene with her cheating boyfriend that lasted forever. It was supposed to sound poetic, but fell flat.
7. Several scenes had poor lighting and instances where the camera kept tilting and shaking violently. What happened there?
At least those gorgeous shots in the Sapporo Botanical Garden (?) more than made up for them. I really need to visit Japan soon. Friends, ano na? The international setting was also really apt since this had the feel of a (Japanese? Korean? Thai?) rom-com.
8. For a blind person, Alessandra's eyebrows were always on fleek, no?
9. Sigrid Bernardo is one of my all-time favorite local directors. If you end up really liking this one, you should also watch Ang Huling Cha-Cha ni Anita, Lorna, and her short film Ang Painting ni Tatay. I loved every single one of those (all five-star films, sadly her streak ended here).
10. So all this time I thought that "nomo" was actually gay lingo (or jeprox slang) for "inom". I had no idea that it was an actual Japanese word that meant "let's drink". Nyeaaaaaaaam!!
Movie Rate : ★★★☆☆
Movie Review by : Jason Javier